Monday 14 September 2015

Oddly - A Font Is Born

Font design is something I've always wanted to try out; literally for years. So finally I went and made my very first font - Oddly.

 See Oddly on Behance

It's a pretty simple font; only one weight, and pretty much just the neatest handwriting I could muster, but it feels fun and personal, so I like it. The whole purpose of the small project was to learn the design process behind putting a font together, and the programs for doing so.

I don't have access to the high-end font software (it's really quite expensive like everything semi-mandatory in the industry), so after looking through a few options I found Font Forge (which is Mac compatible and free).

After years of using the Adobe Creative Suite, the Font Forge software can feel a bit unwieldy, but it's functional where it matters (and did I mention it's free), and we have Illustrator for the actual design side.

I learned a lot, and I'm really happy with the result. Now I'm looking forward to putting together something a little more complex, maybe with multiple weights. 

Please feel free to check out the font here, and download and use to your heart's content. Please let me know if and where you use it, I'd love to see it in use!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.